Everything You Need To Know About The Acoustic Flow ChairJun 16, 2023
The Acoustic Flow Chair is a cutting-edge cognitive device which allows users to see, hear, and feel auditory signals to enter a cognition-boosting flow state.
Are you concerned about your cognitive health, but not sure what to do to boost your brain? Do you want scientifically proven care from expert medical professionals, but aren’t sure how to fit cognitive care into your busy schedule?
You’re not alone. So many people share your concerns, from young professionals to people entering their golden years.
Here’s the good news: at RBI, we’re making it easier than ever to take steps to transform your cognitive health, so you can optimize your brain and your life. That’s why we offer services with a number of cutting-edge cognitive devices. Today, we’ll introduce you to the Acoustic Flow Chair: what it is, how it works, and how it can benefit your cognition.
What is the Acoustic Flow Chair?
The Acoustic Flow Chair is both a Tactile Cymatic Device and a Sensory Resonance Vehicle; in other words, it allows users to simultaneously see, hear, and feel auditory signals.
The chair features a four-channel stereo visual display, immersion headphones, and vibrating transducers which work in harmony to synchronize the experience of your senses. The visual display translates music and sound into light pulses to the eyes; the headphones play hyper spatialized music to the ears; and the transducers vibrate the seat at frequencies that match the sound.
The Acoustic Flow Chair is designed to create a full-body sensory experience that balances your sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems, promoting a sense of calm and stability, among other benefits. It helps people arrive at a "flow state" - a heightened state of awareness that promotes a fluidity between your body and mind.
What does a typical session look like?
Sessions with an Acoustic Flow Chair can be booked for times between 20 and 40 minutes. During a session, you will sit in the chair wearing the accompanying headphones watching the display screen, as you see, hear, and feel the specific sound waves chosen for your session.
How does the Acoustic Flow Chair work?
The Acoustic Flow Chair is a vehicle for sound frequency healing therapy that promotes entering a flow state. The idea behind sound frequency healing is that certain sound frequencies have specific healing qualities which can benefit the body and mind.
The Acoustic Flow Chair specifically takes this one step further by conveying those frequencies both visually and tactilely as well. The alignment of the senses and the combination of relaxation and stimulation provided by the Acoustic Flow Chair balances our autonomic nervous system. This reduces feelings of stress and anxiety, and increases our sense of calm and emotional stability.
Most forms of sound therapy operate on the Solfeggio Scale, a set of frequencies found in traditional healing chants across cultures, countries, and religions. It's generally believed that the Solfeggio Scale was introduced by Benedictine monk Guido D'Arezzo in the 11th century. It was later re-introduced to the modern world in the 1970s by physician Joseph Puleo.
Dr. Puleo used a mathematical numeral reduction to identify six measurable tones that aid in healing. Since then, the number of widely accepted Solfeggio frequencies has expanded to nine different tones. You can see each frequency and their associated benefits below.
- 174 Hz - Lowers stress and reduces the perception of both physical and emotional pain.
- 285 Hz - Increases energy and feelings of safety and security.
- 396 Hz - Helps process negative feelings like fear or guilt.
- 417 Hz - Helps overcome emotional blocks and trauma and encourages positive change.
- 528 Hz - Sometimes called the love note or miracle note, this frequency is used in many traditional blessing ceremonies. It's associated with general healing and DNA repair.
- 639 Hz - Associated with relationships, this frequency promotes positivity and connection with others.
- 741 Hz - Improves your ability to problem-solve and express yourself.
- 852 Hz - Addresses negative thought patterns associated with depression and anxiety. It's also associated with enhancing spirituality and connection to your higher purpose.
- 963 Hz - Referred to as "the pure miracle tone" or "the God frequency," this tone activates the pineal gland, enhances intuition, and creates a feeling of "oneness" with the universe.
Entering the flow state
Beyond targeting specific healing frequencies, the Acoustic Flow Chair works by guiding the user to experience a flow state.
The term "flow state" was popularized by positive psychologists Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi and Jeanne Nakamura. It describes a particular state of mindfulness where you feel totally immersed in what you are doing, feeling, and experiencing in a given moment. Some people like to describe a flow state as being "in the zone." It’s a period of peak awareness, in which you feel deeply focused and may experience heightened senses. Professional athletes and musicians often describe their best performance as being completed in a state of flow.
Scientifically speaking, a flow state can occur when we find the appropriate balance between our sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems. Our sympathetic nervous system controls our "fight or flight" response; it raises our heart rate and blood pressure when we feel stressed, heightening our awareness of our surroundings and keeping us alert and ready to act. Our parasympathetic nervous system controls our relaxation response; it slows our breathing and heart rate so we feel calm, restful, and at ease. A flow state exists when the two systems find harmony: we’re both alert and aware, while feeling calm and in control.
What are the benefits of the Acoustic Flow Chair?
Sessions with an Acoustic Flow Chair can have many cognitive benefits, including physical healing and restructuring of the brain, strong emotional catharsis and connection to spirituality, and functional benefits to aid in your day-to-day life, like decreasing stress and improving mental clarity.
Here are some of the various cognitive benefits of the Acoustic Flow Chair:
- Tissue regeneration. At the right frequency, sound waves can be used to target specific areas of the body causing pain or mobility issues. It can also stimulate blood vessels and promote the creation of stem cells, boosting long-term natural healing.
- Increased white matter in the brain. Specific to brain tissue, sound therapy can help increase white matter. White matter is found in the deeper tissues of the brain, where it protects key nerve fibers and improves the speed and transmission of signals to the brain. Healthy white matter plays a crucial role in optimal cognitive function.
Mental and emotional benefits
- Positive in-the-moment feelings. The relaxing, centering experience of an Acoustic Flow Chair session can give you an instant mood boost.
- Reduced anxiety and depression. In the longer term, experiencing the emotional highs of a flow state can help reduce feelings of anxiety and depression.
- Deep emotional catharsis. Flow states can lead to a deep emotional catharsis, as you feel more mindful of yourself and your place in the world.
- Sense of peace and calm. As your stress response is lowered and your nervous systems find balance, you’ll experience a deep sense of peace and calm.
- Increased concentration. The Acoustic Flow Chair can boost your concentration, help you avoid distractions, and allow you to complete tasks more efficiently.
- Time suspension. In a state of flow, you feel like time has slowed down or doesn’t matter anymore. This lets you feel like you’re living each moment to the fullest.
- Greater sense of clarity. The balance inherent to a flow state makes you feel like your body and mind know what to do, without having to think about each individual action. Stop thinking, worrying, and second guessing, and start acting in your own best interest.
- Reduced stress. As you reach your peak of awareness and calm, you’ll feel less stressed as your nervous systems balance. This release is crucial because of how chronic stress can affect our physical, mental, and emotional health.
- A clear path forward. Stress, worry, and self-doubt can cloud our minds and block our way forward. But achieving a flow state clears our path, so we can step confidently into our optimal lives.
Here is some feedback from people who have used the Acoustic Flow Chair to improve their brain health and day-to-day cognitive function.
Is the Acoustic Flow Chair right for my cognitive health?
At RBI, we approach cognitive care from a holistic point of view. We know many factors combine to contribute to our overall brain health and cognitive ability. Because everyone’s lifestyle and medical background are different, the best ways to benefit your brain can vary from person to person. The Acoustic Flow Chair may be the right choice for your cognitive health if…
- You have difficulty regulating your emotions, or are dealing with a mood disorder such as depression or disruptive mood dysregulation disorder (DMDD).
- You experience moderate to high levels of stress regularly.
- You often feel worried or anxious, to the degree that it interferes with your daily life.
- You are easily sidetracked or distracted, or otherwise have difficulty concentrating or following through on tasks until completion.
- You find it difficult to envision your future, or you don’t feel a strong sense of purpose driving you forward in life.
If you have any specific cognitive concerns, feel free to discuss them with us. We can let you know how the Acoustic Flow Chair can help!
More options to improve your cognitive health
Looking for more ways to boost your brain? Here are a few of our other services, which can be used alone or along with the Acoustic Flow Chair.
VieLight - The VieLight is another one of our supported cognitive devices. It combines transcranial and intranasal systems (a headpiece and nose clip) to stimulate the brain with near-infrared (NIR) light. The process, known as photobiomodulation, can target specific areas of the brain to improve circulation and repair damaged cells. This boosts cognition and overall brain function. You can learn more about the VieLight here.
My RBI Academy- My RBI Academy is a subscription-based service that provides you with our specific tips and tricks to improve your cognitive health, without the need for a consultation with a physician or a commitment to a long-term care program. We send you practical methods and exercises to improve your brain function directly to your inbox each month. Combining Acoustic Flow Chair sessions with a My RBI Academy subscription is a great way to stay on top of your brain health, without having to commit to an intensive cognitive care treatment regimen.
My RBI Cognitive Journey - My RBI Cognitive Journey is our most hands-on, comprehensive cognitive healthcare program. Following your consultation and basic health and cognitive fitness assessments with one of our experienced physicians, we create a six-month treatment program where we work with you 1:1 to radically improve your brain health. Combining Acoustic Flow Chair sessions with My RBI Cognitive Journey is the most comprehensive way to create a full mind, body, and spirit experience for your healing.
Acoustic Flow Chair FAQs
What happens when I use the Acoustic Flow Chair?
During a session, you will sit in the chair wearing the accompanying headphones watching the display screen, as you see, hear, and feel the specific sound waves chosen for your session.
Who can use the Acoustic Flow Chair?
The Acoustic Flow Chair is safe for most adults and different cognitive health levels. However, individuals with photosensitive conditions should discuss with their doctors before using the Acoustic Flow Chair. In general, the Acoustic Flow Chair is best for people looking for a full-body relaxation and cognition-boosting experience.
How long does a session with the Acoustic Flow Chair last?
Sessions with the Acoustic Flow Chair can vary in length based on your individual schedule and cognitive needs. However, most sessions range from 20 to 40 minutes.
How does the Acoustic Flow Chair benefit my brain?
The Acoustic Flow Chair uses sound frequency healing therapy to balance your sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems, promoting a flow state.
This reduces feelings of stress, anxiety, and depression, increases our sense of calm and emotional stability, and improves our clarity and focus on tasks as well as our future path.
Ready to go with the flow to optimize your brain?
No matter the health challenge you face, healing begins with your decision to actively engage with your health. Committing to an Acoustic Flow Chair session is a great start. If you’re ready to learn more about how a session with a cognitive device can boost your brain and benefit your day-to-day cognition, get in touch with us today to set up an appointment.